I like cereal, a well known fact to those closest to me. I bought Sugar Smacks at the grocery store, and in a quick regression to age 8, I read the back of the cereal box while eating. Usually it is a maze, or some sort of other fun breakfast adventure. Instead, I was forced to read corporate America's lame attempt to take over what parents don't do, teachers & schools rarely do, and the government wants to do: educate on morality.
The Cliff's notes version: Dig 'Em accidentally breaks a windshield playing hockey with a friend. Friend attempts to persuade Dig 'Em that he should leave, DE leaves note instead. Angry man runs to DE, asks what happened, the truth is told. What happens? The man finds the truth refreshing, and tells DE not to worry about the smashed in windshield.
I have two problems--actually, make it three--with this story. First, it is setting up children to think that by doing the right thing they will be rewarded. A child can't comprehend that reward doesn't mean mommy and daddy being upset, the man probably staying upset and making mommy and daddy pay, and a complete lack of consequence for telling the truth. I don't believe that the truth goes unrewarded, but not necessarily in a consequence free fashion as Kellog's suggested. Second, I like mazes and comics. Third, do we really need another mass entity attempting to do what our parents don't? "Sit down kids, and read the cereal box. You might learn something."
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment